Sunday 15 March 2009

Science websites that have caught my attention and will be useful when I get familiar with them

Regular readers will know I am a science fan. The following websites caught my attention for their interest or presentation:

The cat genome
The dog genome
I wrote about the greater variation in dog and cat breed appearances in this post. The genomes presented here should help me answer the question, eventually.

Wikipedia page on possible non-DNA life
I asked about non-DNA life in the previously mentioned post.

An atlas of the universe
I observed that there seems to be a cluster of galaxies in the night sky just north of the Moon. Readers in less light polluted parts of the world may be able to see the dim clustering themselves; in London light pollution means that only the star Sirius and a few others are routinely visible, so I have to rely on other people's sky maps for the information. Anyway, I thought that either the earth was heading in that direction so that these galaxies are closer and brighter than others, or the universe tends to cluster galaxies together. This site asserts there is, and gives information about superclusters of clustered galaxies. I don't have any evidence to support the theory, beyond it explaining my base observation. Pretty, though.

No comments: